Monday, January 26, 2009

Raw Milk & Dairy in Austin Texas

I grew up having Ostakaka with Lingonberries with my Swedish relatives here in Austin, Texas. My Austin area relatives were all from the old country, having come here in the 1870's. On the farms at Elgin, Lund and New Sweden, they had raw milk to drink, make the cream sauce for Lutefisk & make Ostakaka out of. Ostakaka is a Swedish cheesecake type dish that is best made with raw milk. I still eat Ostakaka on special occasions, many times ta the Austin Scandinavean Club. In modern, urban society, raw milk and dairy are hard to find. Dyer Dairy, 20 minutes north of Austin in Georgetown has raw milk. The family owned and state inspected dairy is located at 7801 E. Highway 29, Georgetown, TX 78626. (512) 638-0415 You might be interested in these organizations promoting our right to raw milk or " Real Milk " & other natural, non-pasteurized dairy products. Real Milk also has a "where to buy" search engine to search by zip code.

Also, check Local Harvest for dairy as well as other local food.

1 comment:

Betty Saenz said...

I love both raw cow's milk and goat's milk. I am hoping to enjoy some Ostakaka this Christmas.